This article describes how to go from a simple data output:
To a state where the data is visualized using a single icon pictograph:
A variable, R output, or table that represents a percentage or proportion of data. You can also type or paste in percentage or proportion values.
- From the toolbar, go to Visualization > Pictographs > Single icon.
- From the object inspector, go to Inputs > DATA SOURCE > Data source, select the type of input source you will use to create the pictograph.
- If Table or Use an existing R output is selected as the Data source, you can choose an existing table output on one of your Pages in the Input data drop-down.
- If Type or paste data is selected, you can type in the numeric value that you wish to use. It must be formatted as a percentage, eg, 65% or .65.
- If Variable is selected, you can choose any variable from your Data Sets tree in the Input data drop-down that is numeric and represents a sum, average, or percentage.
OPTIONAL: If using a table or an R output as the input to your pictograph, you can specify the row and column to use by either:
- Selecting Typing row names or indices from Select rows to show by and enter the row name or index and selecting Typing column names or indices from Select columns to show by and enter the column name or index, or
- You can have the row and column specified dynamically by instead selecting Choosing from Combo Box or List Box Control.
In my example, I chose Typing row names or indices and entered 1 to return the first row from my table. Enter a column value is optional in this case since the table has only 1 column.
- Click Calculate.
OPTIONAL: You can customize the icon that appears by going to Format > ICONS > Icons.
OPTIONAL: You can customize the colors, fill direction, and data labels by going to Format in the object inspector. In this example, I have updated the fill color from Format > FILL COLOR.