This article describes how to create a new variable(s) that is standardized and will have an average of 0 for each respondent, and that will optionally have a standard deviation of 1 for each respondent. The Sample Standard Deviation is used in this calculation. Please consider the data below, on the left is the raw data of a scale question Strongly agree to Strongly disagree. On the right is the same raw data but standardized.
- A Displayr document that contains Numeric - Multi or Binary- Multi variable sets.
To use this transformation:
- Select one or more Numeric - Multi or Binary- Multi variable sets in the Data Sets tree.
- Still in the Data Sets tree, either hover over any variable in your Data Sets tree > Plus (+) > Insert Variable(s) > Ready-Made New Variable(s) > Scale Variable(s) > Standardize Within Case or else from the toolbar menu, select Anything > Data > Variables > New > Ready-Made New Variable(s) > Scale Variable(s) > Standardize Within Case.
- OPTIONAL: If your document contains more than one data file you will be prompted to select the data file. Click OK.
- Next, you will be asked to select the variable sets you want to transform, click OK.
- For each selected variable set, a new R question containing the standardized data within the respondent.