Row and column categories can have one or more spans placed above them. Spans are labels that are added to tables to group relevant categories together.
One method to do this is to create a banner which adds span labels by default for each variable set included (see How to Create and Customize a Banner). Another method is to manually add a span to your table. The latter is the topic of this article.
A table with row or column categories.
To create spans:
1. First select the headings of interest (holding down Shift or Ctrl and clicking with the left mouse button).
2. Next, right-click and select Create Span.
3. You can additionally rename spans and delete spans by right-clicking on them.
Hierarchy of spans
To create a hierarchy of spans like in the example below, you would perform the following steps:
- Select Coke, Diet Coke and Coke Zero together by clicking and holding down Shift on your keyboard. Then right-click and select Create Span, naming the new span Coca-Cola.
- Select Pepsi, Diet Pepsi and Pepsi Max, then right-click and select Create Span, naming the new span Pepsi.
- Select the two spans Coca-Cola and Pepsi by clicking and holding down Shift on your keyboard. Right-click and select Create Span, naming the new span Colas.
The span labels will show no matter whether the colas appear in the rows or columns of the table.