This article outlines how to export from Alchemer (formerly SurveyGizmo) as an SPSS file, and how this is read in Displayr.
When exporting from Alchemer, it is important to export an SPSS data file. Alchemer users must be on a Full Access License level to create, download, and leverage SPSS exports.
- Login to your Alchemer (formerly SurveyGizmo) account and select your project.
- Click Report > Data Analysis > SPSS Export. (You must have at least one report.)
- Click Settings, ensure Enable shown, unanswered questions to be distinguished from unshown questions is checked.
- Also ensure that Automatically increment labeled values numerically for questions with non-numeric reporting values is checked, and then click Save.
Note: It is generally better not to change any of the other settings under Settings, as this information will be used to set up your data.
Wait until the export completes. Then click Download Export and save the file. The SPSS (.sav) data file is in the downloaded zip file.
Alchemer (formerly SurveyGizmo) question types mapping in Displayr
The below table clarifies how the various Alchemer (formerly SurveyGizmo) question types are set up by Displayr upon data file import. See the Alchemer (formerly SurveyGizmo) documentation on how to import questions that repeat or use piping.
|Alchemer (formerly SurveyGizmo) Question type||How it appears in Displayr||Notes|
|Checkbox Grid||Binary - Grid|
|Checkboxes||Binary - Multi|
|Continuous Sum||Numeric - Multi|
|Custom Table||As above||Depends on which grid types are included.|
|Drag-and-drop ranking||Nominal - Multi|
|Dropdown Menu Grid||Nominal - Multi|
|Dropdown Menu List||Nominal - Multi|
|Grouping (Closed Card Sort)||Nominal - Multi|
|Grouping (Open Card Sort)||Text|
|MaxDiff||Text||Returns the results of the experiment and is not appropriate for use in Displayr's Experiment variable set type. Change Structure in Displayr to Numeric.|
|Quick Sort||Nominal - Multi|
|Radio Button Grid||Nominal - Multi|
|Ranking Grid||Nominal - Multi|
|Rating (Likert Scale)||Nominal|
|Semantic Differential||Nominal - Multi||See notes below|
|Slider List||Text||Change Structure in Displayr to Numeric.|
|Star Rating Grid||Numeric - Grid|
Semantic Differential Questions
A Semantic Differential question in Alchemer appears as a Nominal – Multi variable set in Displayr where the meaning of the scale is shown in the row labels rather than the columns. To split these up, do the following:
- Highlight the variables for the Semantic Differential question in the Data Sets tree.
- Right-click and select Split.
- For each of the variables, note the text in the Label column (which describes the scale), then click Properties > DATA VALUES > Labels on the right and modify the entries in the Label column appropriately for the scale.
- Update the Variable Set Label text to reflect the scale.