The Column Comparisons statistical testing option is not available for crosstabs where the variable set that is selected in the rows is a Numeric - Multi variable set, and it is not possible to create a summary table for a Numeric - Multi variable set such that the variables are shown along the columns to facilitate the Column Comparisons. The methods below work around these restrictions by converting the variable set to a Nominal - Multi and showing the Column Comparisons and Average below the table.
Note that if your crosstab has the Numeric - Multi variable set in the rows and a categorical variable set in the columns, then you can use the column comparisons as normal and you do not need to consider the methods discussed here.
Column Comparisons for a Numeric - Multi SUMMARY
- Highlight the variables for the Numeric - Multi variable set in the Data Sets tree.
- Right-click and select Duplicate.
- In the Object Inspector, change Structure to Nominal - Multi.
- Make a new table with this variable set in the rows.
- Ensure that the variables are placed in the columns of the table by selecting Switch Rows and Columns on the table.
- Under STATISTICS, select Average, Column Comparisons, and Column Names from STATISTICS > Below.
- Highlight all but one of the row labels in the table, right-click, and select Hide.
The Column Comparisons below the table show the results of the comparisons between the Averages shown below the table.
Column Comparisons for a Numeric - Multi Crosstab
It is not possible to have all the results in a single table. They must instead be spread across several tables where each table has an appropriate filter applied.
- Perform the steps above.
- Make a copy of the table for each category you would ordinarily place in the rows of the table.
- Apply the appropriate filter to each table.