This article describes how to view or edit raw data in Displayr.
- A Displayr document with an imported data file in your Data Sets tree.
- To edit, insert or delete data, you will need to first select your data set in the Data Sets tree and set the Unique identifier on the right to your unique ID variable or [Use case number].
Method - Viewing raw data
Select one or more variables (or combined variable set) in the Data Sets tree, then right-click (on the selected variables) and select View in Data Editor.
Alternatively, click the button in the object inspector with the same name, if you have a variable/variable set selected.
You can also use the button that appears on the preview tooltip when hovering over a variable or question. The Data Editor will appear at the bottom of the screen showing the raw variables that you have selected. You can drag more variables to it and can drag columns inside the Data Editor to reorder them as you like.
The column headers contain the 'names' (not labels) of the variables. The row headers contain the Raw Case Numbers. The rounded bars above each column show which Variables are grouped into Variable Sets. To toggle between showing raw values or labels, use the control at the right of the header of the Data Editor.
Method - Sorting raw data
- Click the column header of the variable you want to sort by and use the sorting icons in the column headers to sort the data. The first time you click, that column will be sorted in Ascending order, the second time you click it will toggle to Descending, then a third click will reset it to not be sorted. You can sort by multiple columns in the order you activate their sorting.
Method - Editing raw data
To edit an individual cell:
- Double-click the cell (or click on a cell and press Enter).
- Type the desired value.
To copy/paste values or ranges of values to/from Excel:
- Right-click on an individual or range of cells.
- Select Copy to copy as Values or Labels (based on the selection at the top right of the Data Editor).
- Select Paste Data to update the values in existing variables.
To paste new variables from Excel:
- In Excel, copy the cells that you want to insert into Displayr as a new variable.
- In Displayr, right-click on a column header in the Data Editor.
- Select Insert New Variable to add new variable(s) to your Data Source in Displayr. In this case, the pasted data must match the number of records in your data set. You can then use the new variable(s) as you would any other in Displayr.
- OPTIONAL: If the data you are pasting does not have a column header, you will be prompted to assign a name to the variable.
Method - Find and replace
While the Data Editor does not have its own Find and Replace option, you can use the one that comes with the software. There isn’t a button within the editor to take you there, but you can use the keyboard shortcut ‘ctrl + F’ or alternatively navigate to search in the navigation bar > this document.
In this demonstration, the data has a text variable that contains customer attitudes about various colas brands, in this case, Pepsi. Responses that contain the text are highlighted.
Method - Deleting cases/rows
To delete an individual row:
- Right-click the row header and select Delete Row(s).
To delete multiple rows:
- Ctrl-click each row individually to add them, or Shift-click to select a range of rows, and then right-click in a selected row and select Delete Row(s).
You can also delete rows that match a filter using the control near the right of the header of the Data Editor.
To use a filter to delete rows:
- Select an existing filter (or create one in the Data Editor by selecting New), and the matching rows will be highlighted in green.
- Right-click one of the matching rows, then select Delete Row(s) Matching Filter.
Publishing (or Exporting) Edited Data
If required you can publish a data file that reflects the edits made.
- From the Publish menu (top of the screen) select Export Data.
- Choose from the list of available formats.