To analyze data in Displayr, you need to:
- Create a new document.
- Add data to the document.
Create a new document
After you have logged into Displayr, you will typically be on the Documents screen, where you can create a new document by pressing + New Document. The screen will then look similar to the one below. It is literally a blank canvas.
Add data to the document
There are three basic ways of adding data to a document:
- Add as a data set.
- Copy and paste as a table.
- Using code.
Add as a data set
Most data analyses in Displayr involve the use of a data set. For example, with surveys, data sets typically contain the responses from each person to complete a survey. To connect Displayr to a data set, press Add a Data Set (bottom-left of the screen).
You can then choose from the various ways of connecting to data.
The most common ways are:
- My Computer involves importing a data set stored on your computer (e.g., an SPSS data file, an Excel file, or a CSV file).
- SurveyMonkey, which connects to surveys hosted by SurveyMonkey.
- Forsta (formerly Decipher), which connects to surveys hosted by Forsta/Decipher.
- Qualtrics, which connects to surveys hosted by Qualtrics.
- SQL, which involves connecting to a relational database.
- By writing code. There are a variety of ways of doing this, including:
If you are relatively new to analyzing survey data, please read Find the Best Possible Data File before proceeding, as a lot of time can be saved by making sure you have the best possible file format.
Copy and paste as a table
Tables of data can be copied and pasted from other apps directly into Displayr. For example, you can copy and paste from Excel. When data is added this way, you can perform basic calculations and visualizations, but many standard analyses are not available (e.g., code, rather than drag and drop, is required to create a crosstab). Consequently, if importing an entire data set, it is usually preferable to do so by adding the data set (see the previous section), rather than pasting.
Once you have the data in Displayr, the next step is to Check Your Data.