This article describes how to create an entity list from open-ended text data:
and sentiment scores calculated from an open-end text variable:
And crosstab them to see sentiment scores by saved categories from an entity list:
You will need at least two Text variables in order to perform automatic coding. Text variables are represented by a small a next to the variable and can be found in the Data Set tree:
One text variable should be suitable for creating any entity list and another text variable to calculate sentiment.
Step 1 - create an entity list
- Go to Anything > Advanced Analysis > Text Analysis > Automatic Categorization > Entity Extraction.
- In the object inspector, under Inputs > DATA SOURCE > Text variable select the text variable you want to automatically code into an entity list.
- From Inputs > SAVE VARIABLE(S), click Categories, and a new variable will be inserted into your Data Sets tree.
NOTE: The variables created from this using SAVE VARIABLE(S) > Categories may become invalid and need to be deleted and recreated if the output has changed, either due to the input text variable being modified or the input settings modified.
Step 2 - calculate sentiment
- Select the text variable from the Data Sets tree.
- Go to Anything > Advanced Analysis > Text Analysis > Sentiment.
- A new variable with a Numeric structure will appear in your Data Sets tree that represents the sentiment score.
Step 3 - compare sentiment by entities
- Create a crosstab by dragging the entity list categories variable from Step 1 above onto a Page.
- Drag the sentiment score variable that was calculated in Step 2 above into the Columns of the crosstab table.