This article describes how to manually enter data so it is usable as a data set for Displayr.
Either a spreadsheet, data collection platform or an optical character recognition (OCR) tool.
Method - Create a spreadsheet (eg Excel)
1. Ensure the first row includes the names of your questions.
2. For multiple-variable questions include the common question name in each column.
3. Include a unique ID column.
4. Below the header row should be one row for each respondent.
5. Use value labels (eg Male, Female) instead of value numbers.
6. For multiple-response questions, have one column per category which distinguishes between "Selected" (1), "Not selected" (0) and "Not shown" (blank).
Method - Use a data collection program
Method - Scanning and OCR
Documents can be scanned and optical character recognition (OCR) used to capture open-ended responses. This process is usually very complex to implement and is inadvisable except with huge studies.