This article describes how to go from verbatim text responses in either a single language or multiple languages:
To a state where the responses are translated into the language of your choice:
You will need a Text variable in order to perform automatic coding. Text variables are represented by a small a next to the variable in the Data Sets tree:
OPTIONAL: If you have an input variable with multiple languages you will need to supply a nominal variable indicating language, enabling multiple languages to be translated at the same time.
- Select the text variable to be translated in the Data Sets tree.
- From the object inspector, go to Properties > TRANSFORMATIONS > Translate Text.
- A dialog box will appear asking you what language the input text is in.
- If the text is in a single language, select that language from the list.
- If you have a text variable containing multiple languages, select Specify with variable.
- Click OK.
- OPTIONAL: If working with multiple languages, select the nominal variable that contains a list of the languages.
- On the next dialog box, select the language you want the text translated into.
- A new variable will appear in your Data Sets tree with the translated text.