This article describes how to go from a single response text variable...
...to a state where the text verbatim responses have been coded and categorized into another variable and can be used for further analysis:
A Text variable containing verbatim responses in order to perform manual coding. Text variables are represented by a lower case letter a next to the variable in the Data Sets tree:
- In the Data Set tree select the text variable that you would like to code.
- From the toolbar, go to Anything > Advanced Analysis > Text Analysis > Manual Categorization > Mutually Exclusive Categories > New.
- At the top-left of the screen, set Show responses from to (all responses).
- By default, Displayr starts with two categories: "Missing data" and "New category". To create your first category, you can rename "New category" by right-clicking on it, selecting Rename, and inputting the desired category name.
- You can add new categories by either right-clicking within the category window, or on an existing category and selecting Add Category. Alternatively, you can add multiple categories following the above step and selecting Import/Export Category Names.
The below screen shows the four initial categories created for this example:
- To categorize verbatim responses, select the responses from on the bottom left side of the screen. With the responses selected click on the category, you wish to assign the responses to. You will see the % and n of the category update.
7. When all responses have been categorized, click Save Categories.
8. A new variable will appear in your Data Sets tree with "Categorized" in the name: