This article will tell you how to edit a line chart visualization so that it shows a moving (rolled) average.
It will take you from a visualization that looks like this:
To a visualization that looks like this:
- A line chart made using the function Visualization > Line > Line Chart should already be made and present on the Page. For instructions on how to make a line chart, see How to Create a Line Chart Visualization from a Table.
The basic steps simply add the moving line to the chart:
- Select your line chart visualization on the Page.
- In the object inspector select Chart > TREND LINES > Line of best fit > Moving average
To bring focus to the moving average rather than the underlying data, we can make some further edits:
- With the chart selected on the Page, go to Chart > DATA SERIES and change the Line thickness to 1.
- Under Chart > DATA SERIES change the Opacity setting to 0.4.
- Under TREND LINES change Line type to Solid.
- Under TREND LINES change Line width to 3.