This article describes how to go from a Hierarchical Bayes model output:
To a table of parameter statistics from the Hierarchical Bayes model:
- A document containing a Hierarchical Bayes output.
1. Select the Hierarchical Bayes output.
2. From the menus, select Anything > Advanced Analysis > MaxDiff > Diagnostic > Parameter Statistics Table. A table containing the Hierarchical Bayes parameter statistics will be generated:
The table shows the following statistics:
- mean = the mean
- se_mean = the standard error of the mean
- sd = standard deviation
- n_eff = the effective sample size
- Rhat = the potential scale reduction statistic of the main parameters
What we want to see are values of 100 or more in the n_eff column and ideally 1.1 or less in the Rhat column. If there are problems with convergence, this can be corrected by rerunning the model with more iterations. A good rule of thumb is to keep doubling the number of iterations until the model converges. For more information, see Checking Convergence When Using Hierarchical Bayes for MaxDiff.