If you have questions that have missing values, either because they are missing in the original data file or because they have been recoded as missing (e.g., by right-clicking on a category and selecting Remove) they can replaced with an average value as follows:
- Check that the Structure of the variable sets is either Numeric or Numeric - Multi (and change it if necessary).
- Create a table with the variable set in the rows by dragging it onto your page to display as a summary table.
- Export the table to Excel via Publish > Export Pages > Excel.
- Go to the Data Sets tree.
- Select each variable in the set, one at a time, and:
- Click on for the variable (making sure to have only the one variable selected).
- Set the missing data row for the categories that are being recoded as the average to Include in Analyses in the Missing Values column.
- In the Value field for the category that represents the missing data, paste in the value (from Excel) of the average.
- Press OK.
Please note that:
- Recoding missing data as averages prior to performing multivariate analyses, such as cluster analysis, is not generally considered to be good practice.
- Latent Class Analysis automatically deals with any missing data.