This article describes how to create a new variable based from an original variable containing ordinal or categorical data:
To a new variable that contains only the selected top K categories. In this example, I've selected the top 3 categories from the variable above:
- A Displayr document with a data set, preferable containing at least one ordinal (scale) variable or variable set. Categorical variables with scales will also work.
1. Select the variable or variable set from the Data Sets tree.
2. Hover over the selected variable until a + sign appears. Click the + , and then select Ready-Made New Variables > Add Top K Category Variable(s) (Top K Boxes).
3. Enter the number of categories that you want to combine and click OK.
4. A new variable will appear in the Data Sets tree containing a summary of only the selected top K categories selected at Step 3.