This article describes how to go from a single response text variable...
...to a state where the text verbatim responses have been coded and categorized into another variable and can be used for further analysis:
- A Text variable containing verbatim responses. Text variables are represented by a lower case letter a next to the variable in the Data Sets tree:
- In the Data Sets tree select the text variable that you would like to code.
- From the toolbar, go to Anything > Advanced Analysis > Text Analysis > Manual Categorization > Mutually Exclusive Categories > New or in the Data Sets tree, click on + > Text Categorization > Manual > Mutually Exclusive Categories > New.
- OPTIONAL: If you wish to use an existing code frame from a variable set in your document, you can use the below options:
- Reuse by Copying - copies an existing code frame and coding rules as is from a categorized variable set.
- Reuse by Sharing - shares an existing code frame and coding rules from a categorized variable set, so that any additions and changes will be reflected in both.
- Back coding - allows you to code Other specify text responses into the original question's code frame and automatically merge the data. This is found under Inputs and Back Coding at the bottom of the coding window. Simply select the appropriate Corresponding back coding variables then press OK. In this case, the coding variable set format must match the back coding one, i.e. both single response or both multiple response.
- At the top-left of the screen, set Show responses from to (all responses).
- By default, Displayr starts with two categories: "Missing data" and "New category". To create your first category, you can rename "New category" by right-clicking on it, selecting Rename, and inputting the desired category name.
- You can add new categories by either right-clicking within the category window, or on an existing category and selecting Add Category. Alternatively, you can add multiple categories following the above step and selecting Import/Export Category Names.
The below screen shows the four initial categories created for this example:
- To categorize verbatim responses, select the responses from on the bottom left side of the screen. With the responses selected click on the category, you wish to assign the responses to. You will see the % and n of the category update.
7. When all responses have been categorized, click Save Categories.
8. A new variable will appear in your Data Sets tree with "Categorized" in the name:
How to Manually Code Multiple Response Text Data
How to Semi-Automatically Code Text Data
How to Refine and Edit Text Categories After Categorization
Article is closed for comments.