This article describes how to go from raw text data:
To a state where the text responses have been categorized and can be used in further analysis:
You will need a Text variable in order to perform manual coding. Text variables are represented by a small a next to the variable in the Data Sets tree:
- Select the text variable that you would like to code.
- From the toolbar, go to Anything > Advanced Analysis > Text Analysis > Manual Categorization > Multiple Overlapping Categories > New. Note, if you wish to use an existing code frame from a variable set in your document, you can use the below options:
- Reuse by Copying - copies an existing code frame and coding rules as is from a categorized variable set.
- Reuse by Sharing - shares an existing code frame and coding rules from a categorized variable set, so that any additions and changes will be reflected in both.
- Back coding - allows you to code Other specify text responses into the original question's code frame and automatically merge the data. This is found under Inputs and Back Coding at the bottom of the coding window. Simply select the appropriate Corresponding back coding variables then press OK. In this case, the coding variable set format must match the back coding one, i.e. both single response or both multiple response.
- At the top-left of the screen, set Show responses from to (all responses).
- Next, you will add categories. Displayr starts with "Missing data" and "New category" by default. You can rename "New category" by right-clicking and selecting Rename.
- You can add new categories by either right-clicking and selecting Add Category to add them one at a time or Import/Export Category Names to add multiple. The screen below shows the seven initial categories that I created for this example:
- To categorize the data, click on a response from the uncategorized responses on the left side of the screen, then click on the category or categories you wish to use on the right side of the screen. Use your Ctrl key on your keyboard to select multiple categories.
Click Categorize as. This will categorize the data into the selected categories and remove it from the list of all responses.
- When all responses have been categorized, click Save Categories. A new variable will appear in your Data Sets tree with "Categorized" in the name: