Sometimes, you may have similar surveys or different documents for different reports from the same survey. When you categorize text data in Displayr's Categorization tool (versus a text analysis on the page), the classification is saved as a code frame that you can export and reuse in other documents. This article describes how to save text coding categories as a .Qcodes file that can be exported when you want to re-use the categorization in a different document or for a different variable set. If wanting to reuse a categorization within the same document, see How to Reuse a Categorization on a New Variable.
You will need a categorized variable or variable set created from text variable(s) by using Anything > Advanced Analysis > Text Analysis > Semi-Automatic Categorization or Manual Categorization from the toolbar. These variables typically contain the word "Categorized" in their name:
- Select the categorized variable (set) in the Data Sets tree.
- In the object inspector, go to Properties > DATA VALUES > Edit Categorization.
- Click the Export button at the bottom of the categorization screen.
4. Give the .QCodes file a name and click Save.
5. Locate an uncategorized text variable (set) in the same Displayr document or another Displayr document.
6. From the toolbar, go to Anything > Advanced Analysis > Text Analysis > Semi-Automatic Categorization > Mutually Exclusive Categories/Multiple Overlapping Categories > New or Anything > Advanced Analysis > Text Analysis > Manual Categorization > Mutually Exclusive Categories/Multiple Overlapping Categories > New depending on your project's needs.
7. Click the Import button at the bottom of the categorization screen.
8. Select the .QCodes file that was saved in Step 4 and click Open.
9. The uncategorized responses will be automatically categorized based on the categorization from the imported .QCodes file. If you have any uncategorized responses remaining, you will need to categorize them into new or existing categories.
10. Once all responses are categorized, click Save Categories
11. A new variable (set) will be inserted in the Data Sets tree with "Categorized" in the name to represent the newly categorized variable (set).